We challenge students to discover their talents. Students at Field follow a rigorous curriculum that includes not only reading, writing, math, science, and physical education but also arts and humanities, computer/technology and Chinese. For gifted students in grades four and five, we also offer challenging courses through the Advance Program.
Field's student body is diverse due to several parents have moved to our neighborhood to attend the Southern Baptist Theological and the Louisville Presbyterian Theological Seminaries. Field has the honor of not only children of parents who grew up in the community but also students from towns and cities throughout the United States and around the world.
Of course, we're pleased with recognition from the Governor's Office (as well as then recognition we've received from the Kentucky Department of Education, Jefferson County Public Schools, and the Pritchard Committee for Academic Excellence), but we're most proud of the recognition and support we receive from our student's parents.
They're highly active in our Parent Teacher Association (PTA), which works closely with school staff and coommunity members. Parents also participate in school governance by serving on the Field School-Based Decision Making Council.
What I Need (WIN) Time
Teachers are able to target what each student needs to learn in reading or math in order to accelerate his or her learning experience. We use several assessments to determine each student's strengths and areas for growth at different times during the grading period. Students are then placed in small WIN (What I Need) groups to receive skills needed to show that they have mastered a given standard. Students are placed in intervention groups to review and demonstrate knowledge a standard or in enrichment groups that give students the opportunity to expand their knowledge and receive a preview of an upcoming standard.
Field at a Glance
- Serves about 425 students-kindergarten through fifth grade.
- Offers before and after-school childcare through the YMCA Childcare Enrichment Program.
- Maintains a Family Resource Center.
- Offers the Advance Program.
- Provides Exceptional Child Education classes for special-needs students.
- Employs a full-time Chinese instructor.
- Forms partnerships with community organizations and Louisville businesses.
- Receives support from a dedicated and highly involved PTA.
- Hosts family festivals and community events.
- Offers a wide variety of extracurricular activities.